HOW WE COLLECT YOUR DATA
We obtain your personal data mainly through any information you provide directly to us, including when you enter and use our Website, including when you register for/participate in the Hackathon, when you accept our Terms and Conditions, when you contact us for any enquiries, complaints or for any other reason.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA AND WHAT ARE THE LEGAR GROUNDS
When accessing and using the Website, we may collect, use and process your personal data for specific purposes and on valid legal bases as follows:
- Server Log Files – We automatically collect generated data about your use of the Website such as your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, operating system, referral source, length of visit, page views, website navigation paths, timing, frequency, pattern of your service use. It is necessary for us to collect and process this information in order for our website to work as optimally as possible, meaning for our legitimate interests.
- Profile Data – This is personal information such us your full name, telephone number, email address, position, place of work, your social media links, accounts and information, as well as other information you may provide when accessing and using the Website. We collect and process this information as it is necessary for the operation and proper administration of the Website, Hackathon arrangement and carrying out, and in order for you to receive more relevant ads.
- Correspondence Data – This is the communication content and metadata associated with the communication. The collection of this data is necessary to provide you support and/or to respond to any inquiries you may submit. The processing of these personal data is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests and in specific to serve you efficiently and to optimize the support we provide to you.
- Notification Data – This is personal information we receive and/or use upon your consent, necessary for us to proceed with sending you newsletters/offers/promotions/potential job offers and other relevant notifications. If, at any moment, you do not wish to receive this type of notifications anymore, you can unsubscribe by using the opt-out option or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that if we need specific personal data in order to comply with a legal basis, your refusal to provide such data may result in the inability for you to use the Website and to participate in the Hackathon.
DATA WE MAY SHARE OR TRANSFER TO THIRD PARTIES
- Any third parties engaged in the Hackathon arrangement and conduct, e.g. the Hackathon Committee and management;
- To our insurers and/or professional advisers insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes of managing risks, obtaining professional advice, or the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure;
- Governmental and regulatory bodies, including law enforcement authorities, in connection with enquiries, proceedings or investigations by such parties or in order to enable us to comply with our legal and regulatory requirements;
- Partners and contractors and/or vendors in order to perform any contract we have with you;
- To partners for their promotion and marketing purposes.
We will only process your personal data when the law allows us to and when and as expressly authorized through the Hackathon Terms and Conditions.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER OF DATA
To comply with EU data protection laws around international data transfer, we only allow our partners outside the EEA to process your personal data in accordance with a contract entered into between the Organizer and/or its affiliate and the partners, incorporating the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses, which ensure that adequate data protection arrangements are in place. For more information on where and how the relevant document may be accessed or obtained, please contact us.
YOUR DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
Under the GDPR, you have the following rights with regards to your personal data:
- Right to be informed
- Right to access
You have the right to obtain confirmation as to whether or not your personal data are being processed, and, if so, access to your personal data and additional information about the processing of your personal data.
- Right to rectification
You have the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal data.
- Right to be forgotten
You have the right to ask us to erase your personal data (right to be forgotten) for example if the personal data are no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected; or the personal data have been unlawfully processed.
- Right to restriction
You have the right to obtain restriction of processing of your personal data, for example when you have contested the accuracy of your personal data.
- Right to Data portability
You have the right to receive your personal data which you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to another controller, where the processing is based on your consent or on a contract.
- Right to object
You have the right to object to processing of personal data which is based on our legitimate interests. We shall no longer process the personal data unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests, rights and freedoms or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims. Where personal data are processed for direct marketing purposes, you always have the right to object to processing of personal data for such marketing. In that case, we shall no longer process your personal data for such purposes.
- Right to withdraw consent
Where the processing of your personal data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. The withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
- Right to complaint
We take your rights very seriously. However, if you are of the opinion that we have not dealt with your complaints adequately, you have the right to submit a complaint to the data privacy protection authorities responsible.
We endeavour to address all of your requests promptly.
IS IT YOUR OBLIGATION TO PROVIDE PERSONAL DATA?
Hence, in making the decision on whether to provide the personal data we expect and rely on you to take it on fully your own initiative without any compelling from any side. However, please kindly note that if you decide not to provide the personal data or later wish to withdraw it, we will execute your legal right as prescribed hereunder, however, we will be forced to stop your participation in Hackathon, and in such a case we release ourselves from all and any obligations and/or responsibility under the Terms and Conditions of the Hackathon, as well as we reserve all and any rights we may have in this connection under the named Terms and Conditions and the applicable law.
RETAINING AND DELETING PERSONAL DATA
We will keep your personal data for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which we initially collected them. Once such period has ended, we will keep your personal data for the longest of the following periods: a) any retention period set out in our retention policy which is in line with regulatory requirements relating to retention; or (b) the end of the period in which legal action or investigations might arise in respect of the services provided.
Once the retention period of your personal data lapses, we will ensure that your personal data are either irreversibly anonymised or securely destroyed.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND SECURITY
We deploy various security measures such as encryption and authentication tools in line with the current state of the art to protect and maintain the security, integrity and availability of your personal data.
100% protection against unauthorised access in the case of data transfers across the internet or a website cannot be guaranteed, but we and our service providers and business partners do our utmost to protect your personal data in line with the prevailing data protection legislation by means of physical and electronic physical precautions. Among other things, we use the following measures:
• Strict criteria for authorisation to access your personal data on a “need-to-know” basis only and exclusively for the specified purpose;
• Transfer of acquired data in secured form;
• Storage of confidential data in our secure servers;
• Firewall safeguarding of IT systems to provide protection against unauthorised access, and
• Continuous monitoring of access to IT systems to detect and prevent the misuse of personal data.
Last update: August 31st, 2022